I may not be a belieber (sorry Rashanne) buttt someone thought I was good enough for a Liebster! Thank you Kat from (http://kathexpat.wordpress.com/) for honoring me with this. She is a fellow sister in expatria giving it a go in Australia. Her postings are honest, thoughtful, wonderfully written, and from what I can tell, the girl has great style! Gracias linda!
So here’s the deal…
Answer the 11 questions, give 11 random facts about yourself, and then nominate 2 other bloggers to do the same.
11 Facts about myself:
1) I was really antisocial as a toddler. If you weren’t a member of my family I wanted nothing to do with you. I would throw dirty looks like confetti and the story goes if you tried to talk to me I would growl at you. I promise that I am much friendlier now.
2) Once upon a time I was a slam poet. I competed/performed for five years and have had the honor of a few publications :).
3) I LOVE butter. I mean I only eat bread to eat butter.
4) I whole heartedly believe in the power of manifestation. I was a skeptic at first, of course, but during one of the first conversations I had about it someone said to me – “Sonja if you believe it’s BS then it is and nothing will change.” That changed everything for me.
5) I am obsessed with pugs. I grew up with 2 of them and they are my favorites! I also happen to be incredibly allergic to them. Tragic, no?
6) The worst thing I have ever eaten was a goat eyeball…shudder.
7) I prefer to refer to my cultural and ethnic background as being either Mexican, Chicana and or Mestiza. The latter would be the most accurate.
8) I am known for talking with my hands and using large gestures. I was once recognized in a dimly lit bar solely on my hand movements lol.
9) I got in my first fight when I was 9 years old with a boy. I still have a huge scar on the inside of my left elbow – thanks Juvi.
10) I am a huge book worm. I was that child that would rather stay inside and read then explore the great outdoors.
11) Sorry mom and dad, but I have a dirty mind. One of my all time favorite quotes comes from the classic movie Steele Magnolias (I love this movie – I can literally quote the entire thing) – the character known as Ouiser Boudreaux states “A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste” and I couldn’t agree more.
Answer 11 Questions:
1. What is the quality that you feel most proud of?
I have worked/work really hard to be a positive individual – I used to be so pessimistic (thus where my cynical side stems from) and I realized that I was making myself miserable and decided to change.
2. If you could choose one superpower, what would it be?
This is a tough one – the power to be invisible. I would never pay for a plane, concert, or movie ticket again!
3. If the story of “Indecent Proposal” ever happens to you, what would you do?
I haven’t seen the movie, but I’m familiar with the storyline. I have to say I would tell the guy where he could go; and I would probably either leave my husband for agreeing to go along with the proposal or maybe have some intense couples therapy. But, let’s be real, I’d probably still leave him in the end.
4. What is your most embarrassing moment?
As a result of being a major klutz there are so many situations to choose from lol. I think that the majority of them happened while I was waiting tables. Once I was carrying a full hand-tray of lychee bellini’s during an insanely busy brunch – there I was trying to wiggle through the packed, tiny restaurant, try in hand, feeling pretty proud of myself – when for no real reason I tripped on my own two feet, lost my grip and down went the tray. One loud “SHIT” came out of my mouth followed by the sound of breaking glass – the entire restaurant broke out into applause as I stood there drenched. The only thing to do was curtsy (and blush deeply).
5. Is there anything you can’t do anymore but you wish you could? What is it?
Fall deep into my own imagination with ease and live in that moment. Sure, I can read a great book, do some writing, but it takes so much effort now.
6. What is the title of the last book you read?
A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin – This is the 4th installment of the Song of Ice and Fire series aka Game of Thrones. I am obsessed with the world he has created! I took my time with this one as I don’t have the 5th book and I had a feeling it would be hard finding it here. If you haven’t yet, I highly recommend picking up the books. Do it, do it!
7. What is the first adjective you would think of when anyone asks you about China?
Sweet and Sour – OK, that’s two, but they go hand in hand, no?
8. What is your favourite sport?
I am not very athletic nor am I much of a sports spectator, however, if you take me to a live game I love to watch basketball, football and hockey. I really don’t like watching sports on tv – that’s a great way to get me to get up and clean something.
9. What do you want to ask if you ever meet a great fortune-teller?
If, in the end, I am happy.
10. What is your biggest superstition?
Ladders, I can’t bring myself to walk under them.
11. What do you do when you have some “ME time”?
Do girly things like paint my nails and watch Pretty Little Liars (I know, I know, but it’s addicting) or a similar guilty pleasure tv show.
Paying it forward with the Liebster
He may not like that I am doing this but I want to nominate Damien Flores at (http://damienflores.wordpress.com/ ) this guy is an incredible poet – and if you are curious about the world I grew up in – he paints a damn good picture.
I also want to nominate http://coffeencardigans.wordpress.com/ – this is a wonderful blog about a Cali transplant in NYC. This guy is witty, funny, and often leaves me feeling warm and buttery (yes buttery) on the inside after I read his posts.